10.14.2005

nighttime

I just walked out onto our second floor balcony, and two cows were soundly sleeping in the middle of the dusty street below. Evening prayer chants echoed from distant mosques, competing with the sounds of the one visible over my neighbors’ rooftops. It’s Friday, the Muslim holy day, and it’s the month of Ramadan, the holiest of times, so there is an air of serenity in the city that’s almost tangible.

Nighttime is quiet in Banda Aceh, or maybe it’s normal here but still seems quiet to me. No TV, no DSL, no phone ringing with friends making plans to do this or that, only the persistent meowing of our house cat that literally came as part of the house, and Blake Shelton playing on my mp3 player. It’s been a good first week, and I’m settling into my new environs. The bathroom is scrubbed, the bags are mostly unpacked, I’ve learned a few phrases in Bahasa and made a lot of good connections with people already. I met a man today that could easily become a mentor – wise, kind, a veteran freelance journalist who became a PIO for a one of our cooperative agencies just to be part of the humanitarian effort. Next week, we're going to the weekly meeting of all the communicators so I can continue getting to know my peers. It was an encouraging encounter, and one which profoundly reminded me again of how much I’m going to learn here.

Speaking of learning, that’s what my first days here have consisted of – sitting with my new team members soaking in massive amounts of information about the programs they’ve been working on. There’s 12 of us now, with three others arriving this week, too. It’s absolutely astounding to see and hear all that’s been accomplished so far with just these few dedicated individuals and two dozen or so local staff. Water sanitation programs, community health and vaccinations, partnerships to build houses, psychosocial projects, cash for work cleanup and rebuilding initiatives that help local residents earn wages while restoring their own community – I’ve been dumbfounded by it all, and very proud to now be a part of the team. Granted they all work 10/12 hour days six or seven days a week, but there’s really not much else to do in Banda!

And from a few months ago, the city has changed. Yesterday, I went out to few sites to see the cash for work programs in action, and driving through areas that were once completely devastated by the tsunami, I saw something that surprised me – vitality. Places I recognized from my own photographs in January were not only cleaned of mountains of debris, they were rebuilt and bustling. Shops were open, roads were repaired. It was awesome. But my stomach dropped when we rounded a corner and a caravan of yellow dump trucks rolled toward us – the same trucks that were hauling lifeless bodies away when I was last here. We eased into neighborhoods, that though they were free of debris, consisted of ramshackle houses, pieced together with scrap lumber, all sitting amid tattered tents that had deteriorated after months and months in the hot Indonesian sun and daily rains. It was heart-wrenching, but the people… the people seemed happy.

Much, much more remains to be done, yes, but the scope of what has been accomplished so far is staggering. The debris removal alone is a task I thought in January would take years, and now, relatively speaking, it’s done, with portions even being recycled for rebuilding projects… Banda Aceh is indeed recovering, and I’m so thankful to be able to see it, and hopefully, in some way, be a part of it …

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Selamat pagi, sweet bonnie
Thank you for your beautiful descriptions. I'm going outside before the sun comes up and imagine that it's nighttime in Banda, instead of Bellevue. In my world, my 4th period chemistry class won the door decoration contest for homecoming, Kylie's using the potty, and Paxton just got home from Gulfport, MS cleaning up from Katrina. I love you. Assalamu alaikum

Cindy said...

This was my favorite of your posts so far....loved the images that is put in my mind.
I have a question...
how do you go to a spot to write your posts. Is it that link that says "blog this"? For a title, it shows in the title spot the title which I think is for my whole site. Where do you type in a title for each individual entry?

sure wish I could write like you...
would be nice for my children if I could write down stories from their childhood that they could read one day.

love you lots!
enjoying reading your posts!

Cindy

Anonymous said...

Just washing clothes around here ... what do you do for clean clothes? Do you have a washer and dryer or do you wash them in your shower?

On my way to Cleveland in a while to get a new do ...

Cindy helped me decide that my mid-life crisis needed a new hairstyle. I'm not sure what today will bring ... but I'm thinking color!

Dad is in Calhoun County doing yard work. He will be home tonight.

Have a good day.
Love,
Angie

Anonymous said...

I learned a new trick ...

did you notice I learned how to put my name above my comment?

Anonymous said...

I love to read the words you write...we both know I am the worse writer in the world! Anyway, you have a God given talent to make one see just what you see and feel. It is amazing how strong words really are! I really enjoyed "nighttime" but I cannot get passed Bonnie Jean listening to Blake Shelton!! Are you back on country again??? I love you and your music selections!!! You are in mine and Loyd's prayers! We love you!!

Anonymous said...

Bon, Just want to say how proud I am of you: proud of your boldness to leave your "comfort zone" and travel the world, proud of your caring heart for the people around you (and far away) in need, proud of the talent that God has blessed you with that is so apparent as I read what you have written here, and, well, just proud that you are my sister! Thank you for taking the time to write for all of us who are (as was said in a previous comment) living vicariously through your experience. It certainly helps us feel as if we were there by your side. Hope your b'day was a wonderful day; did you get the message from the kids and me? I love you and am continuing to pray for you. Cris

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to follow up on my earlier comment and let you know that I now have a new hair-do.

You would be so proud of your big sister ...

I have 3 new colors in my hair!!!

So, if you count the gray as a color, I now have 5 colors in my hair.

Oh, happy day ...

I guess you will have to go back to all-natural. :-) It will be different to see you without multicolored hair when you come home. :-)

Never fear ... I'll take up your slack while you're out of the country. If you need a bottle of Mrs. Clairol, let me know. I could probably help you out with that. :-)

Mama Barton sends her love. She got a copy of your blog in the mail and she has been reading it all day today. She even called Mama Gillespie and read it to her over the phone. Mama Gillespie probably sends her love too ... I just haven't talked to her today to confirm that. But, I don't think she will mind me telling you that on her behalf.

No more news from the home front. Write soon and let us know how you are doing.

Love, Angie

Anonymous said...

Just thinking of you this morning and checking your blog.

Have a great day!

love, Cindy

p.s. Angie's hair looks GREAT

Anonymous said...

Hey Bonnie,
Just loved your blog. I am new at this blogging thing, so bear with me. Angie forwarded my some of your writings when you were in the MIddle East, I think, I am looking forward to this journey as well. I am very proud of the woman you have become.

Anonymous said...

Superfly-
WOW! You are amazing! words cannot express the joy and thrill as i read your descriptions. How exciting. Last year my class and i followed a missionary couple through Thailand and this year what a blessing to be able to follow someone as wonderful and talented as you. they'll be thrilled to learn and see a different part of the world. oh goodness, i'm dare say i'm at a loss for words... i'm in awe of you. Luis and I and will continue to pray for God's favor on you as you embarked upon this life impacting journey. You are so special and wonderful. big boob squishy hugs. (i'm sure everyone wants to read the type of hugs you recieve from your crazy "mesican-texan" friend) LOVE YOU!!! - Superfly

Anonymous said...

God has so blessed your writing...

love you tons, sista...