12.29.2005

christmastime

I should probably be working. But as I sit at my desk and watch as the clock inches within an hour of our departure to the airport, I must confess that I have already launched into holiday mode. After non-stop work for what at times seemed like forever, I feel like I’m long overdue for a bit of a vacation, complete with great food, endless shopping and a proper venue for a New Year’s celebration. Some friends and I are going to Jakarta, with a day detour to an island, for a dose of civilization, and needless to say, I’m excited!

From the media monitoring I’ve been able to do from here, all the toiling over the past weeks really paid off with positive anniversary reports on our projects and efforts, and I must confess, the gratification I feel is immense. And for all of you who prayed for me, emailed, called (or tried to!), sent me cards and fabulous care packages and simply supported me in an infinite number of ways through it all – I thank you, thank you, thank you. We made it!

Christmas did indeed come to Banda Aceh. There were times when I doubted that it would – in a region so steeped in Muslim traditions, nativity scenes and lights and Santa were non-existent. But toward the end of last week, I glanced out of the car window as we cruised down one of the main streets, and a lone tiny shop was selling what I’m convinced were the only Christmas trees in Banda Aceh. Of course, we turned around and went back, and I bought a plastic, tattered Charlie Brown-sized special. It may as well have been a towering spruce or fir for how excited I was. The timing was perfect, as I had just begun to feel the creepings of homesickness. And a tree, which prompted discussions of a Christmas dinner and small party, was just what I needed…

And we did party Christmas Day. Not only did I find a tree, but a turkey, too! Christmas miracles, I’m telling you. So team members cooked, I decorated and what not, Santa brought little presents for everyone, and I even rewrote “Twas the Night Before Christmas” and made it fit life in Banda Aceh. We had a great time, and it actually felt like the holidays …

The next few days were very quiet and somber, as the anniversary arrived, and with it, many memorial events and commemoration services. I attended several – two at mass grave sites and a few dinners, and wherever it seemed wherever I went, the Indonesian President was there, too. Gatherings of all sizes were held throughout Aceh, as people marked the end of a year of grieving and recovery after such an unthinkable tragedy.

I’ll write more about it all soon, but have to depart now for the airport… but I wanted you all to know that Christmas came to Banda, that I am OK now after being so overloaded for so long, and that I’m escaping for some much-needed R&R in a big city!

Happiest of new years to you!

All my love,

bonniejean

2 comments:

Susan said...

Hey Bon! I hope the much-deserved R&R is exactly what you needed. I really enjoyed your Christmas pictures, their notes and your most recent posting. I missed seeing you on the news, but did catch Dellaphine on ABC's Nightline on the 26th. She seems like a wonderful lady with a huge heart and a big smile. I'm glad you're there with her. I did keep looking in the background to see if you were back there somewhere, but to no avail...

Anyway, take care of you and know that we love and miss you very much!!

Susie
Fred, Bandit and Toby too!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Bon:
I am so impress that you found Christmas so far away. I was really worried about the turkey until I realized you said that you decorated while the others cooked! Thank goodness. Hopey came home for Christmas and stayed the entire next week. I'm sooo tired. I always say that Hurricane Hope is coming and that I hope I will be standing when she leaves. But it was truly wonderful to have Loyd and Hope home for a little while.

Lisa Rodgers told us she caught you on television during the holidays while flipping through the channels. She was so excited to see you and was really impress with your interview. We are all so proud of you. You are continuously in my prayers and thoughts. I love you,
Sherry