1.17.2006

irma

It’s was just after 7:00 a.m. this morning, and I was lying in bed waiting to hit snooze again on my phone alarm, when all of a sudden my door flung open. It was our doe-eyed, adorable housekeeper – Irma. “Bone-y, Bone-y,” she squealed in a voice entirely too early for me, pre-coffee.

“Yes, Irma?”

“Today. Irma (she points at herself every time she says her name). Birthday. Irma. Birthday. Today.”

Suddenly, I was awake.

“Really?” I said with a half-asleep smile.

“Yes. Irma (pointing again). Seventeen. Today.” She was beaming from ear to ear at simple expression of this annual milestone.

And for her, it truly is, and as I awakened enough to realize it, I understood perhaps why this young girl was celebrating life with such sincere joy… because she has known so well its ending.

Irma was just fifteen last year when the tsunami hit Banda Aceh, taking with its destructive fury both of her parents, her siblings, her community – and for a teenage girl, basically her entire world. Her grandmother survived, but died just this past week.

Like thousands of others, Irma eventually moved into a barrack camp, and a new family emerged around her – older people that looked out after her a bit (one lady being another housekeeper who recommended Irma for the job with us). But she was a young pretty girl, relatively alone, and soon found herself surrounded by other teenage orphans… one of which became her husband.

Yes, sweet little now-seventeen-year-old Irma is married to an equally adorable boy just a few years older than her. Both of them had no family, so they have now become family for each other, while also abiding by the strict cultural standards that permit little interaction with the opposite sex unless you’re married.

And today, Irma was thrilled to celebrate life… her own.

She, unlike so many others, has a husband, a job that she seems to like, friends, growing English skills, a community that embraces her, and four foreign girls who adore her, despite frequent laundry mishaps and odd placement of cheese and other items in the cabinets instead of in the fridge.

So, needless to say, I awoke with a smile, refreshed already at seeing someone so resilient and precious celebrating the gift of Life.

May you celebrate yours today… even if it’s not your birthday.

With love from Banda,

bonnie jean

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Bonnie, what a sweet and heart warming story! I'm certainly a jaded person, looking toward a birthday (52) in July with little anticipation. God has been so good to all of us and most of all Irma by allowing her to start a new family. Last night at WMU we talked about 85 year old people from New Orleans starting over again. At least, they didn't lose any of their family. What a tragedy for Irma. We just don't realize how much God has blessed us.

I'm going to Fayetteville this weekend to see Hope and Loyd. He's being baptized this Sunday and I'm going to see him get dunked!

I'm so proud of you and miss seeing your smiling face.

Love ya,
Sherry

angie said...

What a great story!!!

I hope y'all had a little birthday celebration for Irma on her special day.

Love,
Ang

Susan said...

Bon you certainly know how to make me change how I was feeling about turning 37 next Monday! I was groaning about getting another year closer to 40, but 36 was a really good year for me and I guess it can only get better from here, right?

Love you bunches!! Susie

Cindy said...

what a sweet story! please tell irma that many people who she doesn't even know feel very blessed to celebrate her birthday with her.

love, cindy

angie said...

Hey Bon,

I was just thinking about you today and wanted to peek at the blog and see if you posted anything new.

I've been thinking about this blog and I wanted to let you know something. I know that I, along with others, have commented about how much I enjoy reading about your adventures. Well, I have realized that I am putting stress on you when I make comments like that because it just makes you feel like you always need to post something exciting.

Well, I'm writing to let you know that I don't want to hear just about your exciting adventures. I'd like to also hear about how you sat in your office and were bored silly for 8 hours today or about how you ate fish for the ump-teenth time today for lunch or whatever.

I'd just like to read a little note from you that lets me know that you are OK and that life in Banda Ache is trucking along as normal Banda Ache life goes.

You don't have to always tell about something exciting. Too much excitement just makes me tired. I need a slower pace. I know you do too, at times, and I would enjoy reading about those times as well. I just wanted you to know that.

I hope you have a good day.

Love,
Ang

Eve Inspired said...

Hi Bon, can you take a picture of Irma and post it so we can see her. :) Let her know that she is now famous with at least 10 people in the United States! She is a survivor, and I thought I was a trooper moving away from those I loved in order to serve my call from God. That one went straight to the heart, thanks Banda Bon.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Bon, left you a comment regarding this post, but somehow it ended up under "Quite". Please check there too!!!
Cris

Anonymous said...

Yoo... hoo...

Oh, yoo... hoo...

Bonnie...

This is your long forgotten blogspot calling...

I miss you, Bonnie... please write soon!!!