2.16.2006

valentines

I just left Banda Aceh for the fourth time in over four months of forever. It’s my first time traveling alone since journeying here and I’d almost forgotten the idyllic solitude of solo travel. And being able to sit by the window. As the familiar landscape below faded into a tangle of evening clouds, I felt something unfamiliar in all of my comings and goings from Aceh … relief.

Yes, it’s true – this many months and weeks of working that many days in a row can (even in the most humanitarian of efforts) result in the same condition as too much time in an office or cubicle in Anywhere, U.S.A… Burn-out.

So, you’ve found me not reflecting pensively over adventures or inspirations as of late, but beginning to discover the blissfulness of a real vacation. India awaits. A new continent, a new journey, and the familiar sight of a dear friend’s face. I’m thrilled!

It’s been a grueling few weeks. The “site opening” event I mentioned in the last post that we were planning for a group of newly-constructed houses went incredibly well. The attendance was great and we even had a few write-ups in local papers and much positive feedback. However, the predictable disconnect that occurs in this type of work between “field staff” like myself and those running the show from afar, happened in the day’s following, shifting me into full-blown “I need a vacation” mode. It’s a difficult situation to explain without boring through details, but suffice it to say, that perhaps my greatest struggle work-wise has little to do with anything in Aceh, but more so trying to communicate the realities of our program work (and my related communication tasks) to people far, far away… who just don’t seem to “get it” 99 percent of the time.

Anyway, that’s the downside of things, the very issues I’m endeavoring to leave behind as I prepare to explore a new place. I did have one particularly exciting adventure this week, though – I drove! Well, actually I “test drove” for the first time a month or two ago, but this week, we at last got a car assigned to our house for us to use. Since I had already passed the local “test,” I was ready to hit the road. This may not seem that earth-shattering of an event but, well, they drive on the left-hand side of the road here, so the gear shift, blinkers, and everything are on the opposite side of what I’m used to. But I did it! And amid the crazy traffic, motorcycles, cows, goats, bikes, I cruised around all weekend in our new truck with no radio feeling the freedom of a newly-licensed teenager. It was great!

That was about the highlight of my week, until leaving tonight. I’m in a hotel in Medan now. It’s evening and my flight to Kula Lumpur then on to Delhi leaves in the morning. I’ll likely spend the evening repacking my over-stuffed suitcase and trying (at last) to catch up on some emails.

I’m leaving Indonesia with an expectant heart, anticipating fully to receive the refreshing my soul needs. At least some of the weight of the past few months will still be with me days from now as we reach Dharamsala in the mountains of northern India. Perhaps I’ll find the same refuge and rejuvenation that the Dali Lama discovered there during his years spent in exile from Tibet. Perhaps I’ll plop myself down in the middle of a group of meditating monks and pray and breathe and be quiet… until the knot in my stomach unwinds and the pounds of pressure fall off like raindrops in an afternoon shower…

We will see what lies ahead... and I'm certain it will be good.

I'll leave you with a holiday thought, since Valentine's was a more "visible" holiday in Banda than Christmas was. Yesterday, over a delicious, spicy Valentine’s night dinner and pink drinks, I learned from my Colombian amiga that the literal translation of how they say “Happy Valentine’s Day” in her home country is “Happiness to you on this day of friends and lovers”.... and I thought that was so lovely, so inclusive of all of our loved ones on a day that Love itself should be celebrated. So, I’m embarking on this trek a bit weary, yes, but with a heart full of Love from near, and from afar… feeling all of the compassion and prayers coming from each of you continues to give me strength for the journey...

So, thank you… and Happy Valentine’s Day (in the Colombian sense).

All my love,
bonnie jean

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Bonnie:

There were two amazing things that I read in your post. First, that you didn't know how well you could on the "wrong" side of the road. You have been doing that in the US all these years, I don't understand the problem! Secondly, the most amazing is that you think you could sit amoung ANYBODY, even monks, and not talk. That is so not Bonnie. You would have to ask all sorts of questions. What do you think about? Do you sometimes see funny things running through your brain and laugh out loud? How do you keep from smiling and laughing at beautiful flowers? The list would go on forever.

I know you need to unwind and settle yourself for a little while. Try to leave it all behind. Sadly, the real world will be waiting when you get back.

Love you,
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Your Mother is always with you. She is the whisper of the leaves as you
walk down the street. She is the smell of certain foods that you
remember, flowers you pick and perfume that she wore. She is the cool
hand on your brow when you're not feeling well. She is your breath in
the air on a cold winter's day. She is the sound of the rain that lulls
you to sleep, the colors of a rainbow, she is Christmas morning.

Your Mother lives inside your laughter, and she is crystallized in every
tear drop. A Mother shows every emotion, happiness, sadness, fear,
jealousy, love, hate, anger, helplessness, excitement, joy, sorrow and
all the while, hoping and praying you will only know the good feelings
in life. She is the place you came from, your first home, and she is
the map that you follow with every step you take. She is your first love,
your first friend, even your first enemy, but nothing on earth can
separate you. Not time, not space, not even death.

Cindy said...

Hey, Bon!

ditto on Dede's comment!

(can I go too?)

:)

love, Cindy

angie said...

Got your driver's license, huh... and a new vehicle to go with it.

I imagine you do feel like a teenager.

That should be a liberating experience. I'm sure it has been a bit confining to always have to depend on someone to get you around.

However, you need to BE CAREFUL. Don't get too far from your house and job. Just drive circles around the block and around the cows... it will be fun.

Roll the windows down and sing real loud to the locals, "Do you wanna ride in my Mercedes boy... " If they can't speak English, they will never know the difference. As you drive circles around the cows, you can sing them a soulful rendition of, "Mommas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys..." I'm sure they will quickly pick up the tune and moo in harmony.

Have fun on your vacation and with your new ride when you get back to the Yellow Palace.

Love,
Ang

Anonymous said...

Hey Bon!
Dane and I watched the Dukes of Hazzard movie this weekend (actually only watched maybe half; turned it off...too trashy...not the original "good ole boy" show). As I was reading about your new driving adventures, I suddenly heard the theme song playing in my head in the background and got a vision of you zooming around the streets of Ache yodeling "YEEEEE HAAAAAAAAA!" The truck isn't orange, is it?

Hope you have a wonderful, restful, and relaxing trip and that you can "detatch" from it all for a while. I love you! Keep safe!

Cris

P.S. By the way, who wrote the Anonymous "poem" above? I think that must have been for all of us. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Miss you and thinking of you...keep in touch when you can...

*hugs*

Anonymous said...

Home is where your heart is. Recently a good friend of mine helped me to realize that I have not been home since the end of September...

"Home"

Another summer day
Has come and gone away
In Paris and Rome
But I wanna go home
Mmmmmmmm

Maybe surrounded by
A million people I
Still feel all alone
I just wanna go home
Oh I miss you, you know

And I’ve been keeping all the letters that I wrote to you
Each one a line or two
“I’m fine baby, how are you?”
Well I would send them but I know that it’s just not enough
My words were cold and flat
And you deserve more than that

Another aeroplane
Another sunny place
I’m lucky I know
But I wanna go home
Mmmm, I’ve got to go home

Let me go home
I’m just too far from where you are
I wanna come home

And I feel just like I’m living someone else’s life
It’s like I just stepped outside
When everything was going right
And I know just why you could not
Come along with me
But this was not your dream
But you always believed in me

Another winter day has come
And gone away
And even Paris and Rome
And I wanna go home
Let me go home

And I’m surrounded by
A million people I
Still feel alone
Oh, let me go home
Oh, I miss you, you know

Let me go home
I’ve had my run
Baby, I’m done
I gotta go home
Let me go home
It will all be allright
It doesn't have to be tonight
I'll be here when you get back home

ftp://68.10.144.134 in your internet browser will take you to "home"

Anonymous said...

Hey sweet bonnie,
I hope that you had a wonderful vacation. And even if you didn't, we want to hear about that, too! You would have enjoyed seeing Batch on Trading Spaces: Post Katrina. It was cool! Write soon, because I'm going nuts checking this thing every day! Love love love ya, lacey