4.18.2006

halfway

Just a few days ago marked six months since I arrived in Indonesia. It’s a milestone of sorts among my colleagues here, but I wrestled with mixed emotions of celebration versus sadness throughout the day, and I guess to some degree always do. Sure, it may seem interesting and exotic to live abroad, and inspirational to be a part of endeavors like these – and it truly is. But (there is always a but, eh?) the flip-side is the hard part – being away, feeling immeasurably detached from the people and places you love the most, the strangeness of never being able to quite “settle” in a place that continues to be… foreign.

But you keep on. You live and stretch and grow and try to learn (some days much more so than others) and you try to make something familiar out of the unfamiliar while still embracing the new. And somehow, along the way, you discover new pieces of yourself that you never knew existed. So, in that sense, I celebrate these as six months of Survival… partly, of getting to know myself better.

I celebrate a Faith, that is sustaining and ever-present. The verse continues to prove true that God is faithful when we are faithless. Applying traditional ways of believing, living and loving just doesn’t work when the shapes of our surroundings are all are all suddenly (and continuously) unrecognizable. But through walking out on the precipice of Openness and Acceptance, one discovers that a leap of Faith really isn’t so far from the foothold of the familiar. And the world, and our Faith, becomes only Bigger if we’re brave enough to jump…

I celebrate the people of Aceh, and their manifestation of Resilience and Perseverance, of having the courage to blend Need with Dignity, Grief with Recovery, and Tradition with Openness. One of the little things I love so much about the people here is their way greeting each other. When they meet someone, they shake hands in a typical fashion, but when the extended hand is retracted, they place it over their heart, almost in the posture of saying a pledge, but for just a moment. To me, it symbolizes their acceptance of one another, and how in meeting someone, they truly take them into their heart. And I feel that’s what the people of Aceh have done with me. And for that I’m immeasurably grateful…

**************
I wrote the above paragraphs a few days ago, when I was obviously feeling a bit nostalgic and reflective. Today, I’m lingering in thoughts of a lovely Easter yesterday. Though I’m far away from my favorite egg-coloring partners in recent years, Sierra and Daniel, I got to share in that little bit of fun-for-all-ages with friends here who’d never experienced the magical joy of watching a Paas tablet dissolve or the seeing the first hints of brilliant color emerge on a once boring egg (yes, you know it IS that fun!). Instead of attending a church service with hymnals, a well-tuned choir and Baptists in their Sunday best, I found myself in a little sanctuary with a few dozen other internationals wearing blue jeans, singing songs slightly out-of-key. But when the preacher-of-the-week greeted us with a hearty “Christ is risen!” and my voice and spirit echoed “Christ is risen indeed!” –- I knew my steps had led me to the Perfect Place to remember the Resurrection.

I am surrounded by rebirth here, and New Beginnings. A few weeks ago I went to Chalang, a small town a few hundred kilometers south of Banda, and one of the areas hardest-hit by the tsunami. We’re doing “immediate needs” projects in the surrounding area (yes, there still are many urgent needs more than a year after the disaster) and supplying basic things like water sources and spouts, building roads and small bridges – projects that are “small” in comparison to other efforts, but life-changing for those they affect. The center of town sits on a peninsula that was struck on three sides by the tsunami. Of the 2,000 people that lived there, only 17 people survived. When our field officer approached the community about their needs, they told him honestly that houses were being built and water was supplied, but what they really could use was a place for their kids to play, something to help them return to “normal” life, even this long afterwards. So what did he do? Together with a team of locals, they built a volleyball/basketball court for the children and teenagers of the community, and now scores of local kids from the surrounding areas have a place to come and play, to just be kids, to continue moving forward with hope and laughter…

Isn’t it always the simple, little things in life that make such a big, big difference?

And I colored Easter eggs yesterday. And went to church, and picked fresh mangoes from the tree in our front yard, and cruised around by myself at sunset. And I felt something more than “making it through” in my own little struggles here… Amid the simple things, I had my own resurrection of sorts, a New Beginning at my Halfway Point… in the little things, I found a big reminder that my own Tale of Survival is much moreso a Story of Purpose...

And is for us all. Happy Easter.

With love from Banda,
bonnie jean

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Bonnie,
Without sounding patronizing, I hope, how you have grown! But, I really wish you would give me a warning when you are going to be reflective and so sweet and caring. That way I can be ready to cry. I'm sitting here at the office and tears are flowing down my face. Thank goodness I am the only one here right down.

On a happy note, I got to dye eggs this year too! The grands were at our house this weekend so we dyed 7 dozen eggs. I had forgotten how fun it was to watch kids' eyes grow rounder and see how awed they are when the eggs turn colors. It was so much fun.

This Easter was very meaningful for me too. Though not as large a growth experience as yours, I have been doing "Experiencing God" on Sunday nights. My Christian walk has a "springer" step and I feel more connected than I have in a long time. It's a wonderful feeling.

Enough about me! I really hope you do get to come home to Isola when you get your break. I want to put my arms around you.

Love,
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Hi Bon,

I can't believe you have been there six months. It seems like yesterday you, me and your dad were packing up your apartment in VA Beach. My how time flies when you are not noticing. Well, with the first six months gone, the other six months will fly by too. Thank you for your inspirational words and reflection on what really matters in this life - the story of a Risen King and the Redemption and Purpose he brought. I'm thinking of you.
Love, Becca

Anonymous said...

Bonnie,
This post was just what I needed to read. Everyone in my house, the babies included, is just now getting over a terrible stomach virus. I have been covered in an avalanche of laundry soiled beyond belief and an endless stream of the most heinous diapers you can imagine. Not to mention the torture of watching Nathan and the kids in misery. For me, this has been the "unfamiliar" place you were speaking of. I've never had to take care of anyone but myself all my life until the babies came along, and they've never been sick. But I got a big dose of the unknown this week, and like you I found a faith in the midst of the fear and uncertainty like I've never known. Not only faith in God, but faith in myself and the resilience of my family. Please know that you are not only helping the people in Aceh, but also all of us with whom you are sharing your story. Thanks.
Suanne

Anonymous said...

Dear Bonnie,
WOw!!! What a gifted writer you are. I'm always amazed at how you are able to put on paper what you feel.
The 2nd and 3rd paragraphs of your last blog could have been written by me were I that capable of writing it. It, of course, had me in tears also. That is what I've been feeling the last two months since Warren's death--living, stretching, growing, and learning. Finding growth in facing the unfamiliar. Finding that my faith has been immeasurably strengthened as never before. What an incredible God we serve!! How else can we go where we feel it's impossible to survive and come out stronger than before?
Angie and I have been e-mailing a bunch. Seems she's a night owl, too. She has the nerve to ask ME what I'm doing awake in the wee hours. I've even gotten her to log on to the AARP game sight (but don't tell anyone). I'm turning into my mother and grandmother--both addicted to the crossword puzzle, except I only work the interactive ones on the web (does that count for me?) .
I'm nearing the end of the fish business, thank goodness. Should be OUT within a few weeks. Your dad has been such a big help, advising me. I know he regrets having agreed to do it because I've certainly taken advantage of his generosity. I'm totally ignorant of what's in the water (and plan to stay that way). All I know how to do is write checks and I'm tired of that.
Love you much and am anticipating hearing every detail when you get HOME.
Claudia

angie said...

Hey Bon,

I really enjoyed this post. It is very good.

"But you keep on. You live and stretch and grow and try to learn (some days much more so than others) and you try to make something familiar out of the unfamiliar while still embracing the new. And somehow, along the way, you discover new pieces of yourself that you never knew existed. So, in that sense, I celebrate these as six months of Survival… partly, of getting to know myself better."

I enjoyed this paragraph the most. I have read it quite a few times this week and have used it to try to encourage myself as I have been trying to write two papers for Monday. As you know, I am like Hope in that I recognize I need help with this writing thing.

Yesterday, after I had reached a point of complete depression over these papers, Marion offered to help me with them!!! Help cometh from the Lord!!! ... by way of Marion!!! Her major is in English !!! Yea!!!

She introduced me to a phrase called a "thesis sentence" or "topic sentence." I am still not completely sure what that is, but it does seem to be something that you try to put in paragraphs occasionally. She also told me to quit trying to organize and think through the paper in my head before I write it. She told me to just write whatever, and then go back and organize and edit later. I thought that was very good, practical advise. I really appreciate her help!

I know I rambled off on a different subject. However, I did enjoy this post. It was very good and very inspirational. I am glad you have found a church to go to. I hope you can begin to recognize a few familiar faces in the congregation and maybe make a few new friends.

Have a good week.
Love,
Angie

Anonymous said...

Hi Bonnie. I sure have enjoyed your adventures. I hope to see you when you get home. Should that not happen thou, please know that you and all of your family are always in my prayers. Be safe, have fun, enjoy life, take good care.
Love,
Emelia

Anonymous said...

Hi Bon Bon! This post held a lot of meaning for me, too. I agree wtih many of the other posts. Since we've downsized from our 1800 square foort home to the 800 square foot apartment with a family of 4 plus the LARGE dog, we are also in a place of unfamiliarity. It haw its own feeling of foreign-ness, and I am making every effort to only bring out the best of it day in & day out. Thank you for your encouraging words. I am, as always, so proud of you!! Love, BIG hugs & cheek kisses, Lisandrea