7.03.2006

batty

A few months ago I discovered Alanis Morisette’s remake of Seal’s early nineties hit “Crazy,” and it's become my anthem. While dancing around my room, between breaks from the new Dixie Chicks cd, or through headphones amid our noisy, chaotic office, the ingenious chorus line “We’re never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy” always strikes a chord of comfort during times of fatigue and overload, displacement and delirious glee.

Returning from the strenous time at the Yogyakarta quake, I found myself a bit burned out, fielding demands from national headquarters and sick with some lack-of-sleep-induced flu-like terribleness. If juggling the aforementioned wasn’t enough, we were approaching the 18-month anniversary of the tsunami and probably the busiest time I’ve had here since December 2005. Tack on some internal team drama and having to fire my once-beloved assistant for various reasons I won’t enumerate, and well, it’s been a heck of a few weeks.

Editing and finalizing our 130+ page assessment of all of Indonesia kept me burning the midnight oil like a college student, and that preceding a full week of strategic planning for the next 3+ years of programming, and you have one Bonnie Jean in need of a break. Yeah, I know, “whoa is me,” when really, everyone works hard and constantly. But I guess it's the combination of all the recent weeks have entailed, immediately following the experience in the earthquake zone… ugh. Suffice it to say that I’ve begun my internal countdown calendar until I’m finished here. But even that is a double-edged sword, piercing with the reality that there’s much, much left to do before departing Banda.

Work and life both, though, are far from listless here, and the events of one particular night implore recounting…

It’s supposedly “dry season” in Aceh now, but from the time I arrived, no one has ever been able to quite provide an adequate definition or timeline depicting the true difference between “rainy” and “dry” seasons in this sauna of a land. Even though it’s been “dry” season for at least a month or two, the past few weeks it's rained incessantly (leading me to inquiries about “monsoon” season rather than rebuffing the arid heat). And here, when the rains come, the electricity goes, and at one point early last week, my housemates and I found ourselves without power for two days. Flashlights we had, and candles, too, but the problem of problems was that our water pump is electric… so showers, we also did not have.

After about 48-hours of funky-ness, Sujata and I were riding home one evening with Deva, one of our amazing drivers. He endured a few minutes of our be-moaning before reminding us ever-so-kindly, that in our emergency supplies stockpile (for earthquakes and what not) sitting right in our garage was… a generator. What?! A generator that we haven’t been using during this and endless other dark, hot nights of power failure?!?! Our lameness for never investigating what supplies had been delivered to our house a few months earlier was instantly dismissed by the joyful notion of running water and air conditioning. So as soon as the car came to a halt, we all scampered inside to investigate.

Sure enough, a bright and shiny never-before-cranked generator was sitting right there, along with some extra emergency lights that Su and I ripped into while Deva tinkered with the generator. Within minutes, the generator roared to life, but alas, our delight was short-lived… we had the power source, but not the cables to connect it properly to the house. Thoroughly disenchanted with our “emergency supplies” stockpile, we slunk back into the living room and were immediately greeted by the most unexpected of visitors… BATS.

In our haste to check on the generator, we had accidentally left our front door open, and along with our loudly-meowing, very-pregnant kitty cat, at least a dozen black flapping rabies-carrying Baby Dracula’s had come frolicking in the front door! They were swooping around our heads like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds, and we all screamed like a bunch of schoolgirls. Su and I hit the deck, while Deva started trying to shew them away. But there were too many and the ceilings were too high, and on top of it, the power was off and the emergency lights were dead, so the house was nearly pitch black dark. All we could hear was the ominous flip-flap flip-flap of their sinister little wings and feel them brush by as they dive-bombed us in torment.

Deva grabbed the tennis-racquet-like mosquito zapper and jumped and swatted, Su curled up on the couch with her head covered, and I ducked-down and darted to make sure all the doors were open. Seeing that Deva was gravely outnumbered, I did what any semi-fearless Southern girl would do – I doned the straw cowboy hat hanging on the back of a chair (for moxy, of course), grabbed the nearest thing I could find to swat with, and joined the battle. However, my weapon of choice was a bit lacking in the intimidation factor... a giant, bright-orange plastic flower left-over from a gag-gift at our Christmas party. Despite drawing chortles of laughter from my comrades, my fast-flying foliage clearly instilled fear in my flock of nemeses, and the vicious blood-suckers started flapping toward the door. Between softball-player swings, I lit candles around the house, and it was likely this move, not my careening giant orange flower, which finally drove the black-winged invaders from our abode…

And that was just one night.

If I were to go into my “tossed at sea” adventure from last weekend that almost left Sharmila and I as the next Gilligan and Skipper, or ramble on about the plethora of critters creeping around Aceh, the frequent tremors, or digress about the World Cup fever that has consumed this country and the entire planet (sans America), I would be typing all night.

Just know that though I’ve been busy, I’m never caught in the doldrums amid this ever-lively environment. I even bought a bike recently and have been riding to work and around town (ignoring the catcalls and dodging traffic like a human Frogger), and this week was blessed to participate in a key “handing-over” ceremony for a group of houses we funded. The joy and smiles on people’s faces as they received the keys to their new homes was truly the delight of my week and among the greatest highlights of my time here so far.

I’m in Medan this weekend just for a break, getting some retail therapy at the mall and some Starbucks to boot. July has arrived, August is coming, and September will be the grand finale… But even as early as tomorrow, there will be fireworks over Banda Aceh... from our party! We're celebrating America right here in the eastern hemisphere! Happy Fourth!!

a bit crazy but surviving,
bonnie jean

7 comments:

Susan said...

Bon, as usual, the picture in my head is laugh-out-loud funny thanks to your wonderful description! I'm glad you're getting a little rest before diving into your last 90-ish days.

Enjoy your 4th. I'll raise a rib in your honor tomorrow...

Love, Susie

angie said...

American Southern girl in straw cowboy hat, waving giant orange plastic flower to the rescue...

What a hysterical story!

I loved it! Thanks for sharing!

I would also love to read your tossed-at-sea adventure and a few of the others if you can find time to write.

I hope you have a Happy, bat-free Fourth in the eastern hemisphere.

Love,
Ang

Anonymous said...

Oh, Bon!!!!!!! Gives a whole new meaning to "batter up", doesn't it?
One thing for sure, you will never be at a loss for a conversation topic. What bedtime stories you will be able to tell!! Love you and praying for you, Claudia

Anonymous said...

Hello my love! You ARE crazy!! You do not need a song......I can hear you and Ange laughing..me eating PB and fritos drinking cold DP and the real popcorn!

I had a dream the other night about when you, Brad, Chad, Chasity, and lucky me wrode around in the crystler singing Amy Grant! Oh did I think you all were so cool...really! Now it is hilarious but you will always be the coolest!

I am SO glad to know that you are safe......I pray for you and think of you everyday!I miss you terribly!

Loyd and I are buying our first home this month....I am making in through my doctorate program....I have 8-9 classes left and all A's....Loyd and I made a headboard out of my favorite Dupioni Silk....I am learning to sew and monogram!! Enough about us....just wanted to share with my sis!

I would love to send you a care package!! Please give me the info needed and let me know what you would love to have! I love you! Hope

Anonymous said...

BonBon! This was perfect--loved the Circle of Art wth your close. Crazy is about the feel of it--bats in the belfry!! Wild & crazy, both. It's always wonderful to read your perspective on the experiences you're having. Thanks for th epush email that gave me some grins today. Happy Independence Day. We miss you in the States. Love!

Anonymous said...

I was reading this poem again today and thought of you. I thought I would share these few phrases:

And when the last harvest is finally in,
If we've worked in the sunshine and rain;
Together we'll stand at the end of the way
And we'll see what our labor has gained.

So, if you are hoeing and plowing today
Where the ground seems unyielding and bare; (or batty...)
Child of God, don't look back but just keep pushing on
If you know He has stationed you there.

Love ya,
Ang

Cindy said...

I see that I'm a little late reading this....

but nevertheless, that BAT STORY is absolutely hilarious!!! I was just sitting here having to stop and howl with laughter at each comma. Funny Funny Funny word pictures that you are able to create, Bonnie Jean.

lots of love
Cindy