2.15.2009

weight

The blog boycott has ended, without even me realizing it had begun. My last entry was wrenching to write. For weeks I worked to assemble the perfect words to hold my heart carefully suspended in a Word document. I wrote and edited and revised and prayed. After being the unsuspecting object of misplaced political frustration, I had wanted (perhaps too desperately) to explain my point of view, to share my story.

But after all the expended emotions, time, and creative energy, I’m still not even sure that the people it was largely written for even took the time to read it. The wonderful responses from all perspectives and all continents couldn’t completely drown out the silence of a very few. The conversation was over, as was the election soon after, and there was nothing left to say.

I guess that’s the call of a writer to some degree – to very publicly bare your soul, realizing that some people just assume cover their eyes, or look the other way.

But now the weight of a muted voice is too much not to try to peck my way out, key by key, letter by letter. Under the weight of an avalanche, even an ice pick is useful. It’s the weight of dread once the comfort of the holiday season was over, and the pace of life returned to the fury and futility of the day to day. The weight of recitations of all I have to do, little of which is actually very important. The weight of stress and frustration, making breaths shallow and sleep fitful. The weight of the calls that never came, or that I never placed. The literal weight around my middle that feels like a physical manifestation of the heaviness in my heart, noticeable mostly to me.

Oh, I know. It’s not nearly so dreadful, and some days are still fabulous. (The last time I posted something solemn I got an immediate call from a most loved one asking what happened to the Real Bonnie.) I’m just purging again to my therapist/laptop, so don't worry. Sometimes I approach writing like I’m on a scavenger hunt for clarity. If I write and write long enough, I can usually glimpse a mile-maker a few paragraphs in, or see a compass-like direction emerge once I re-read my ramblings.

Lately, I’ve been weighing a question we all probably grapple with from time to time – what’s more important, to spend our days toiling away at something we don’t necessarily enjoy to have money to do things we do enjoy, or to throw caution to the wind, break with the norm, and chase after our life’s calling which may or may not lead to any kind of financial stability?

I have just been trying to figure out if, on a practical level, my present state is all self-induced? I knowingly, consciously choose to turn at the mile marker and end up here, so am I free to just choose again crank my engine and drive away? Or do I have to wait for another Divine Opportunity, or for things to reach a certain depth of intolerable before I can launch my life into a new direction, leaving "security" behind? Do I even have to justify it if I did, and to whom?

As adventurous as I am, I feel like the risk-taker in me atrophied a bit post-disaster work. In my daily life now I rarely take risks of any kind. I handle staplers and scissors sometimes, and drive amid local crazies, but that’s about it for me and danger. It’s almost like I’m out of practice taking chances and have now found myself too weighted down by routine to make any kind of big leap in life… just when I may need to the most.

I was on my way home from Geneva when I started writing this. A four-day trip that’s as easy as hopscotch, and typifies one of the heaviest shackles I have to where I am now – the freedom to travel the world on someone else’s dime. Terrible, isn’t it? And terribly addictive. A leap of faith now may just cost me my Gold Elite flyer status, and glimpses of conference rooms in exotic places.

Am I willing to take the chance that a literal world of possibilities may open up, if I just jump? Realistically, practically, I’m just not sure. But it feels good to have at least found my way to the question...

****************************************
Let me learn by paradox
That the way down is the way up,
That to be low is to be high,
That the broken heart is the healed heart,
That the contrite spirit is the rejoicing spirit,
That the repenting soul is the victorious soul,
That to have nothing is to possess all,
That to bear the cross is to wear the crown,
That to give is to receive,
That the valley is the place of vision.

-A Puritan prayer

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved your closing with that Valley of Vision poem. It truly speaks to the necessity of our weighty times. Follow your heart! (only kidding.) You'll likely make the right choice, and, even if you don't, God will be using it for your good (a thought that often brings me much comfort). I loved the line you wrote about being weighed down by all you have to do, little of which is really that important . . . you really hit on something there. Love you!

Ginger

Lacey said...

It is my prayer for us both that we seek to Glorify God and follow our calling wherever the path leads you, adventuresome or not.
Funny that the word verification for today is "trial" instead of the usual jumble of letters and numbers. May you find your way through this trial of decision-making. You can trust your decisions as long as you are trusting God to guide them.

Anonymous said...

Keeping you in prayer for clarification and confirmation. Looking forward to seeing what God has in store for you...

Anonymous said...

Well, Bon, all I can say is that I know you will make the right decision when the time comes. Change is a very uncomfortable place to be or anticipate. I'm not a risk taker at all and even at your age I'd never have had the nerve to strike out on my own. Hats off to you for taking the chances that you have. I love living vicariously through you, too!!! I'll be praying for you to have clarification and peace about your future. Love you bunches, Claudia

angie said...

Well, Bon, it sounds like the routine of life is draining the life out of you. I suffer from that too, you know. Even though I realized at an early age that I prefer to be close to home, the longing of my heart has always been to be free... to be free of routine... to be free of redundancy… to be free of the apathy that strangles my soul when my horizon extends no further than replication of my routine. I need challenge and stimulation and variety as intensely as I need air… without it, I slowly and painfully die inside. The most important aspect of a job, for me, is to have the freedom to grow. As long as I can grow, and stretch, and do something new and challenging, I have the potential to be temporarily satisfied. However, the never-ending challenge is in finding new, creative, and interesting ways to play with the same toys, in the same sandbox, with the same people. It is not easy trying to find stimulation and inspiration within the routine. Yet, without it, it is simply impossible to stay...

Love,
Ang

Anonymous said...

Hey, Bon...
therein lies the struggle for a lot of us...

hang in there!

love,
Cindy

Steve G. said...

Yep, as the poet said, "Life is measured out in coffee spoons."

Steve G.

Anonymous said...

Bon...
First, I am so glad that you are back writing on this blog.
I share the same sense of the holiday weight, too. Physically and mentally. It seems that we build up so much toward that magical day. Everyone seems so happy and people are nicer...then BAM...the day is over and all we have is 12 black garbage bags of wrapping paper and a tree that must be taken down. Every year I promise myself that I will take that wonderful "Christmas" spirit with me all year long. Then work rolls around and I seem to not even realize when it slipped away amidst the stack of paperwork on my desk.

Have you ever seen a documentary on astronauts? If not..really try to watch one. Not so much what an astronaut does...but what she/he becomes when they come home. I feel you have what I call "astronaut" syndrome..I made it up. In my world it works...See, when astronauts come home from the great wide open, they have problems relating to people. It's due to the fact that they have seen and been where no one else has gone. They can't share something that is such an amazing part of their life with anyone else. Not even the people that are the closest to them. Just the people that are with them. You have been and seen things that only some will read about in magazines and newspapers. The mundane normal life for you has to be just that. Mundane and Normal. As cliche as it may sound...Follow your heart. Follow God's plan. Don't you wish sometimes She could email us and say, "Bonnie, I think you should _______." If only She would fill in the blank. But that blank is your free will. I nor anyone else can tell you what your blank is. That is something that is going to have to come with time, prayer and patience. None of the above I handle very well.

My grandmother was one of the wisest people I know. She lived in the same house her ENTIRE life. She was born in that home and died in that home. I remember once a cousin asked her if she ever got bored with her life. She simply answered..."No. My life is so full that these doors on this old house sometimes feel like they will explode." When I was little, I thought she was foolish. Then when I got older I understood. It's about being happy. Happiness and contentment are why people run the rat race of life. They are on an endless search. My grandmother didn't need to search. She had it.
I hope you fill in your blank and end your search soon. You are too beautiful inside and out.

Personally, I think you should put the stapler and scissors down and run...run as fast as you can.

I love you

Nicole said...

My Sweet Bon!

I love you and always your writings touch something deep within my soul. It's so interesting b/c in many ways, I would consider our lives to be complete opposites. Me, the non-risk taker, staying at home, longing for routine and of course you not that. But it seems that God in HIS infinite wisdom is giving us both a taste of the other side of life.

I've come to realize there is a definite reason for this. Bonnie, YOU will return to what you love doing. I believe that with everything in me. I will one day have more of a settled feeling in my life, but I feel that God wanted both of us to understand there needed to balance in it.

I don't know what decisions are upon you, but this one thing I do know. HE WHO BEGAN A GOOD WORK IN YOU IS FAITHFUL TO COMPLETE IT...

I will be praying that God clarifies they way for you and gives you HIS perfect peace in the waiting time.

You continue to INSPIRE ME!!!!!

Anonymous said...

"Row, row , row your boat,
Gently, down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream."

Anonymous said...

I read this again today, Bon, and I liked it again. Thanks for sharing.
Love, Ang