8.05.2009

expectant

For months now, I have been counting babies – pregnant friends, friends delivering, another colleague with one on the way, and even a sister! Finally, I decided that I just had take a tally of this baby boom happening around me, and when I did, even I was shocked at the number – seventeen. That’s right, seventeen little ones that I know who have either recently arrived or are on the way. Is there a Facebook group for that?

As the number escalated over the past few months I have pondered aloud to friends that surely there is some symbolism, some deeper meaning in this. One wisely pointed out that all it meant was that I was in my mid-30s. Another said that there is indeed a global baby boom happening right now. I’ve about deduced, though, that it may just be God’s way of telling me to be patient.

See, while seemingly half the women I know are hatching out bambinos, I have been scheming for months (ok, maybe longer), trying to find the escape hatch out of what I have deemed a miserable job/city/life/whatever. I have been interviewing, looking at houses in my destinations of choice, searching online for jobs, writing plans and building websites for my own dream business – in short, flailing about in daily indecision about what is my next perfect step. All the while thinking that certainly staying put was not an option. Wait? No way! I couldn’t take another day.

Long story short, I am still here. Any day now I am hoping for news that will point me in one way or the other. Surely, that door of opportunity will crack open and hopeful glimmer of light will soon trickle through…

But still I wonder, what if it doesn’t? I mean, I have apparently accepted that I’m just going to have to endure daily “misery” until i do something else or move somewhere else. So, if I don’t get Divine Direction soon, is this my assigned state of existence from here on that I need to just learn to accept?

When I actually stop to think about it, though, how much of our lives are spent waiting? Comparatively, there are likely a lot more dull/boring/routine days than enlightening ones; we spend a lot more time behind closed doors than skipping through open opportunistic ones. Life is largely made up of “in the meantime,” which is why I guess the Bible talks so much about daily prayer and a day’s work and new mercies every morning. God gets routine – after all, he invented orbiting planets, flowers that bloom every afternoon, and lapping waves against the shoreline.

And this is where I can take a lesson from the expectant moms in my life = after months of watching their bellies grow, of waiting (often uncomfortably) for the due date, what results is among the greatest of all joys. Sure, there are routine feedings, hundreds of diaper changes, but as that precious New One develops and blossoms, all of those months of waiting are largely forgotten. Every first giggle, first smile, first tooth are new treasured moments sprinkled among otherwise normal hours.

But new baby or no, can’t we all approach our daily lives a bit more that way – looking for magical moments amid the “dirty diaper changing” we all do? Knowing that months of being uncomfortable, months of waiting, will result in something wonderful? Can’t I, at least, learn from the many, many new lives growing around me that there are some growing opportunities for me right now as well?

What sound is more soothing to my soul than waves crashing against the shoreline, over and over and over again? What is more hopeful than rays of light spilling over the horizon, regardless of if that horizon is brand new, or the very same one I saw yesterday...

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes. mothering lulu has taught me to look for all the new-ness surrounding us, and as a result i find that i'm so much happier a person than before. i think there's really something to celebrating every little mile-marker.

-ginger

Unknown said...

Hey My Expectant Bon Bon!!!

First I must say I'm thrilled that your blogging lapse has ended for the time being. I absolutely love reading what you write!

I must say this time it's as if you wrote the words of my heart. Our situations may not be exactly the same but the feelings are absolutely the same.

I love your thoughts Bonnie exactly what I needed to read after a day of...no really a few weeks of pondering, struggling, and flailing.

I'm looking for those magic moments amid the diaper changes. If I'm honest, there have been many strategically placed along the way that have encouraged endurance.

Thanks for sharing your heart Bonnie! Love You Much and believing for a change of scenery for you in all the places you desire one...

Lisandrea said...

Bonnie--this is a flawless encouragement to anyone waiting out any season, and you have, once again, captured the heart of the Lord beautifully! So glad to be reading you again. xoxo!! Praying for your "labor pains" to feel natural, though tight, and for your "delivery" to be one of absolute delight & perfection! I know God will do it--He always sustains you & provides!! xoxo

Steve G. said...

Yes, Bonnie, it is a lesson that I've had to relearn many times in my life, not to 'wish my life away.' Still haven't quite got it.

Right now, I'm anticipating retirement, a scant four or five years away.

So, how to get through all the endless, boring days of cube-life corporate drudgery til then?

I guess it's Living For the Weekend, TGIF, and three odd weeks off a year.

But what I think you are hearing is the clock ticking.

Not just biological.

It's the clock that tells you, one option is gone, maybe never to be there again?

So sounds like you need to reinvent yourself.

I've spent most of my life doing that, sometimes starting over from scratch - new careers, new marriages, new children.

And I've been lucky at it, too. So far, I've been pretty blessed!

But if you're looking for advice (men are good at giving it), best I can say is to try not to get to be my and your Dad's age with too many regrets.

I have a few, but none that I would go back and do much different. For example, for every bad marriage, I have a loving child.

Anyway, best of luck to you, and wishing you all the happiness that you deserve!

Cousin Steve

Anonymous said...

This was really good, Bon! I enjoyed reading it. It made me consider some things that I haven't really considered before. One of those is that God gets routine. Well, of course, He does! He created it! I've never thought of that before. I have primarily considered how much I generally dislike routine... how much I like new opportunities and challenges. I never gave much thought as to how our routines are part of God's design and plan. Odd, maybe, that I never gave that any thought before. Thanks for posting. I enjoyed this and feel inspired by it.

Love, Ang

Cindy said...

I liked this post!! You did a good job connecting all those dots and stringing all those separate thoughts together.

Just an Ordinary Mari said...

Thank you for sharing your heart. I think you and I need a phone call... or better yet a glass of wine, or cup of coffee. There is much to talk about and catch up. You'd be surprised how much of what you write is what is on my heart. I miss you.