8.29.2009

match

My recent response to online dating...

Well, that was a colossal waste of time.

Not because he wasn’t nice enough or couldn’t carry a conversation. He wasn’t bad looking or too terribly awkward. He was a very normal guy, who was only a little nervous, and I really have nothing bad to say about him.

But why is it that a few minutes of in-person conversation can tell you infinitely more about someone than a few emails and a scripted online profile? If the guy I met last night had come up to me when I was out with friends, I would have spent two minutes tops talking with him and walked away. The End.

Instead of walking away, I spent almost two hours with him on a perfectly good Friday night, and left with all of my qualms about dating reconfirmed.

It’s a colossal waste of time.

And something in me had hoped I would be surprised. I really had tried to squash any expectations (good or bad) and was just going to go and see and it wasn’t a big deal. If it was bad, maybe I would have a good story to tell. But it wasn’t even really so bad. It was just… pointless.

One of the main of the reasons I gave up on dating a few years ago was that I couldn’t figure out why I continued to spend time either a) looking for a guy or b) with guys that I didn’t really like, when there are so many people I DO like to spend time with and so many things I would rather be doing that are actually interesting. It just dawned on me that if there are only 24 hours in day, maybe I should not waste precious hours doing things (and/or seeing people) that I didn’t enjoy or didn’t enrich my life. And there you go, dating = done. It wasn’t even really a conscious decision, and definitely not a hard one to make.

But now here I am, a bit older, a few more gray hairs later, and something in me hit a tipping point and swayed toward doing what I’d always taken a very firm stance against = online dating.

Let’s be honest, it was really 70% joke, 25% challenge, and 5% interest. But that 5% interest really was there, and I can’t deny it. But even with eager friends setting everything up and me not really doing much except a final screening, it still felt artificial, too much like a Biggest Bargains page on Overstock.com. All you have to base your choices on are two-dimensional images and how well they can string a sentence together. Why on earth was I thinking that would be enough?

Has it come to this? Is this really how I’m supposed to meet people now?

I suppose I could go out on the town, like I used to, and meet guys who are now likely much younger than me who are likely there with few honorable intentions. I could go to church and be lumped in with all the ‘older singles’ groups, filled largely with folks that there is no question why they are still single. Or I can online date and spend hours staring at images on a screen, when two minutes of flesh and blood could give me a more accurate synopsis and, getting back to my original point, not waste anyone’s time (his included).

Are these really my only options?

And then there’s the other not-to-be-spoken-aloud question, am I this desperate?

As I have gotten older, I have watched single women around me lower their standards with each passing birthday. Jerky or dorky boyfriend here, marathon online dating there, with each outcome as unfulfilling as the last. Aren’t we supposed to be getting wiser as we get older? Shouldn’t the bar be going up, not down? I am continuously mystified by women who settle for less than they deserve just in the name of being with someone.

And then there’s my other big issue – my ego. Frankly, I am spoiled. I have always been used to being “looked at” and not “looking for.” And maybe that’s the mentality I need to shake, the humility I need to find, or maybe that’s the question I need to answer – do I really want to “look for” someone at all, like a holy grail of happiness? Or would my energy be better spent (there’s that theme again), searching for happiness inside myself, rather than in travelboy074 from Columbia, MD?

Or, is all this “find contentment within yourself” stuff just my own proverbial cop out? (It has indeed served me well over the years.) And maybe my blatant determination not to “waste my time” is just a defense to shelter and protect my time, for people I love, things that I love… and there’s maybe the real fundamental issue in all of this = I do have time to share and love to give, and having a really special person to share that with and give that love to, I think, would be wonderful. And maybe, overall, it just makes me sad that there really seem to be no good options out there on just how to find that.

Except, of course, the one that’s been there all along….

God, can you help a sister out?

6 comments:

Cindy said...

ok.... hmmmmmm....
I have absolutely never been the first person to post a comment on one of your blogs....
sort-of presents me with a challenge.... hmmmmmm.....
what to say that sounds profound???
hmmmmm....
oh well...
I got nothing.
;-)

Your ramblings on this strike me as a little humorous, a little all over the place, which, is the way to process something... looking at it from all the angles.

It also makes me wonder exactly what it is that you are looking for in an introductory "date" (if that's the correct term to use). Is it some SHA-ZAM sort of chemistry or intuitive spark?
You know, Bon, I know you know this, some people just don't make a good first impression. Other people make an ok first impression, but really don't seem that impressive. I have people in my life who fall into both of those categories. If I had stopped at the first time I met them and never had any further contact, I would have never found the pearl inside of the oyster (to use an analogy).
On the other hand, there are people who, over the years, have made a fantastic first impression and left me excited about the possiblilty of some type of relationship with them. Continued interaction, however, proved to only illuminate their flaws rather than their good qualities.

In such a false setting as a blind date with someone who's picture you've seen on the internet, I would think that almost everybody would make a bad first impression (maybe even you... who's to say... wink wink).

I don't think it's so much about "lowering your standards" and "wasting your time" as it is about trying, for whatever brief amount of time God places someone in your life, (be it 2 hours or 20 years), to find the pearl hidden within the oyster.
And all oysters don't have a pearl... I'm not saying that they do... and those definitely need to be thrown back. But, I guess my question to you is this: Are you giving yourself enough time to find out if there's a pearl in there before throwing the oyster back?

You know I love you!
Keep on looking...
Almost all relationships (whether friendships or romantic) involve looking for someone who's company you enjoy. It is very rare to just "happen upon" someone with whom you "just click" the first time that you meet.

Keep us posted on your next date!!! We'll be waiting...

Anonymous said...

God, can you help a sista out?!? Gotta say, that cracked me up!

I am sad travelboy was not as interesting in person as he could have been... the name certainly makes him sound like someone that you could have shared a good conversation with.

Well, I hope someone interesting travels through your world during the upcoming week... keep your eyes open... you never know when they may pass by...

Love you,

Angie

melissa said...

AMEN! AMEN!!

I cannot tell you how exhuasted I am from explaining "my situation", or how I think online dating sucks, or how I do meet people all the time, or how, NO, I won't call a guy the day after a first date to make sure HE had a good time.

God bless you for this post, Bonnie. I am here to say that I completely and totally understand and I don't think waiting on the Lord (with eyes open, of course), is a waste of time...or a foolish course to take.

God, can you help TWO sisters out?

Steve G. said...

Dear Desperate,

Mr. Right is out there, somewhere!
So, keep looking.

Here are a few points to keep in mind while you are looking:

* there's no such think as Love-at-First-Sight (Lust, maybe?)
* you may have to kiss a few Toads to find a Prince
* don't be too picky (Mr Right does not exist)

Good Luck!
The Voice of Experience

p.s. you don't look desperate?

Lacey said...

"Love is not about finding the right person, but creating a right relationship. It's not about how much love you have in the beginning but how much love you build till the end." --Unknown

Anonymous said...

"Sometimes it's not because of you so much as it's God getting him ready for you - some boys take longer than others." :)

Seriously: He's working on you just as much as the other. Continue on this journey of yours and rest assured in His timing and plan. Easier said than done but trusting in Him is easier than trusting in the unknown.

I wasn't sure it would happen for me again...but it did when I chose Him first.

Love you.
KC